The purpose of writing is to communicate.
As a writer, you need a skillful copy editor to review and refine your communication before you release it into the world. As your editor, I will find and resolve all errors, from slight to significant, which could otherwise detract from your work. I’ll correct syntax, usage, punctuation, and more to support you in producing compelling, readable prose. Editing allows you to present your best writing to your audience.
I bring to your project many years of editing experience, professional development in editing, experience in teaching English grammar, extensive coursework in writing and literature, and skill in balancing precise attention to detail with understanding of the wider narrative. I respect your ideas, purpose, and voice. Your work is not rewritten; it’s carefully polished.
My editing process ensures:
• Each word is spelled and used correctly
• Word choice is precise, meaningful, and suited to the overall tone
• Punctuation conforms to current writing standards
• All grammar is amended, including verb tense, verb agreement, pronouns, parallelism, and modifier placement
• Sentences are strong and articulate; paragraphs flow
• Any discrepancy or inconsistency is addressed; any vagueness or wordiness is corrected
• Elements such as numbering, headings, abbreviations, and citations are consistent throughout the document
• Manuscript aligns with any writing standards or formatting requirements of style guides such as Chicago Manual of Style, APA, MLA, or those of your publisher or university
site content © 2010–2021 J. Romaine